- Program Overview
- Insurance & Services
- MNsure/Affordable Care Act
- MN PCA
- For Medical Professionals
- Medical Home
- Preventive Health
- Billing for IEP Health Services
- Low Cost Medical Clinics
- Dental Resources
- Prescription Assistance
- Sample Health Plans
- Health Links
- Video Resources
- Health Publications
- Text Message Updates
- Contact Us
Communicating effectively with Diverse families
The American Academy of Pediatrics defines culturally effective care as “the delivery of care within the context of appropriate physician knowledge, understanding and appreciation of cultural distinctions leading to optimal health outcomes.”
National Center for Cultural Competence
- Cultural Competence Health Practitioner Assessment
- “Community Engagement and Partnerships Improve Access to Medical Homes”
- “Cultural Brokers Help Families and Providers Bridge the Cultural Divide”
- Working with linguistically diverse populations
- “Self-Assessment Checklist for Personnel Providing Services and Supports for LGBTQ Youth and Their Families”
“Growing Your Capacity to Engage Diverse Communities by working with Community Liaisons and Cultural Brokers”
Ideas for providers who are building relationships with diverse communities.
American Academy of Pediatrics: Culturally Effective Care Toolkit
A practical, hands-on resource to help practicing pediatricians and their office staff provide culturally effective care to their patients and families.
US Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Minority Health
Federal resources and publication to support health care professionals serving diverse populations.
Language Services Action Kit: Interpreter Services in Health Care Settings for People with Limited English Proficiency
Information for medical providers who are interested in providing language services access to their patients.
- “Helping Families Support Their Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Children”
Spanish version: Transitions-Changing Roles for Youth and Transitions-Changing Roles for Families
Checklists of health care topics for teenagers/young adults and their families to consider with medical providers to prepare the teenager/young adult to become a health care consumer
Autism Parent Education for Somali Americans
Educational video from the Somali community in Rochester, MN, Mayo Clinic and the American Academy of Pediatrics, Minnesota Chapter
- DeafMD.org: Health Education in American Sign Language
Minnesota Parent Resources
- Hmong translated resources for families of children with Special Health Care needs.
- Spanish translated resources for families of children with Special Health Care needs.
- Somali translated resources for families of children with Special Health Care needs.
Potential Community Partners and Locations for Parent Outreach Activities in Diverse Communities
A list of examples of Minnesota Community organizations that may collaborate to help providers reach diverse families.
- Honoring Choices
Resources to encourage health care conversations including health care directives and end of life decisions.
- Health Care Directives
Fillable forms for patients to pre-plan health care decisions. Developed collaboratively and reviewed by the Honoring Choices MN Advisory Committee and is available in English, Hmong, Russian, Spanish and Somali.